The Canadian Securities Institute (CSI) is Canada's leading provider of professional credentials and compliance solutions for the financial services industry, helping more than 700,000 financial professionals reach their career goals. It offers more than 120 courses.
- Common complaints with respect to usability revolved around the difficulty experienced by users in finding relevant information.
- Features of the site most in need of improvement included: search functionality, design (branding), and navigation, with an emphasis on making the site more consumer-focused and intuitive to their user audiences.
- Overall goals with respect to usability were to focus on reducing the abandonment rate and providing users with numerous opportunities to find the course or information they are looking for.
- Research review, metric analysis & site evaluation – Key Findings and Recommendations report
- Developed personas & logic flows
- Developed IA , wireframes & a prototype site
- Conducted usability testing & persona validation with 10 participants
- Modified IA & wireframes
- Created design concepts
- (12 week project)
- Site re-launched in November 2008
- Three personas were defined:
- Persona 1: Looking for a Career in Financial Services
- Persona 2: Current CSI Student
- Persona 3: Training Manager
CSI Homepage before
- The development of personas, usability testing and validation revealed that Training Managers act and search the same way an existing student does although they have a broader mandate.
- Designs were developed, approved and adopted readily.
- Client was satisfied with results and reassured that a focused, realistic, user-centric approach was taken and supported.
- Site launched November 2008.
Working with personas we reduced the number of clicks to purchase a course and improved the purchasing process. Anecdotally we believe the abandonment rate has declined 10-13%.``
``Just wanted to compliment you on the great new website design. It is so much more convenient to use. Thank you.`
CSI Homepage Redesign by Prescient
Persona 1: Debbie
Information important to Debbie is offered on the home page with a `Find a course by`and maintaining the Top Courses so she can get a sense of what others are doing. As well, there are `Resources`which include a link to `New to CSI` which groups information specific for first time visitors like Debbie.
Persona 2: John
John will probably login first and then view `My CSI` and he will also be interested in Continuing Education to further his knowledge and career.
Persona 3: Mary
Mary has a broader interest and is more like to thoroughly explore the main navigation as well as utilize the resources. She will view the news so that she can update any of her employees on key offerings.