The SharePoint (MOSS) Plan
Microsoft Office SharePoint Services 2007 (MOSS) is taking the intranet by storm: more than half of medium-to-large size organizations are considering or have already implemented MOSS as an intranet solution.
MOSS is a portal platform and development framework for deploying a reasonably simple employee online collaboration environment. MOSS is designed for good for small organizations or department specific collaboration efforts, but is not always an ideal enterprise intranet solution for medium to large organizations requiring significant customization.
While MOSS off-the-shelf includes many features, most organizations don’t want to implement an off-the-shelf solution with the standard look-and-feel. In fact, every organization is different and has different needs, and their online environments should be reflective of this unique personality; and customizing SharePoint can be difficult – and expensive.
The expense and effort to effectively implement MOSS requires careful thought and continual diligence. If implemented without the proper governance and planning that goes beyond site a launch, MOSS can create more problems than it solves.
Based on years of experience with dozens of corporate intranets, our technology-neutral approach defines business and functional requirements with a proven methodology for aligning MOSS and employee collaboration needs with organizational goals and strategy.
While the specific scope of the project will vary based on the client’s unique requirements and budget, common deliverables of our SharePoint Plan includes:
- Business Requirements Analysis – we will interview, gather and analyze feedback from key leaders and stakeholders the current needs and opportunities for improving employee communications, productivity, and information sharing.
- Intranet Plan – Prescient will develop a detailed plan that documents the organization’s need, the intended benefits, the specific strategic directives, objectives, and measurable goals for the ongoing management of SharePoint as an intranet platform. The plan also includes recommendations for a high-level information architecture to structure significant user content.
- Governance & Policies – we will define the roles and responsibilities of the intranet’s owners, key stakeholders and content owners, site developers and managers. A comprehensive governance model will include a detailed Intranet Policy detailing rules and guidelines for creating and managing team and project sites, and content pages.
- Additional Options Available – user research, industry and competitive intranet benchmarking, business case development and ROI, functional plan, detailed information architecture and wireframes, content management planning, design, technology audit and planning, employee communications and marketing.
Prescient's strength and focus is measured online success. Prescient’s team of consultants has extensive website experience, and were early adopters of social media.
- We have wide & deep experience working with MOSS and multiple technology intranet and website environments.
- Prescient boasts a full roster of satisfied, world class, Fortune 500 clients.
- We are the only web consulting firm that promises to build success measures (critical success indicators) into each and every project.
- We have the largest roster of expert speaking engagements of any firm in its class with dozens of conference, seminar & webinar events across the globe every year.
- Prescient has the most published team of experts of any firm in its class with hundreds of published articles to date.
- We have won more than a dozen awards including a prestigious Webby Award.
Download Choosing an Intranet Technology Platform Whitepaper (2011)
Download The Social Intranet: Social Intranet Success Matrix (2012 whitepaper)
Attend an upcoming Prescient event.
Contact us for more information.